April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
Child Abuse Prevention Month - More important than ever
While it's important during this COVID-19 crisis for us to be healthy at home, the fact of the matter is that many children will not be safe from abuse and neglect during this crisis. Parents and caregivers, as well as children, are experiencing higher levels of financial and emotional stress, both associated with increased risk for all forms of abuse and neglect. Children and adults are isolated physically from their support systems. Abused and neglected children are less likely to be around protective adults who normally would have noticed and reported suspicions of abuse.
So we need to be more pro-active than ever in supporting children and families during this unprecedented time.
Judi's Place for Kids staff and CASA volunteers are continuing to provide services to abused children, in different ways than we have in the past, using available technologies and remote work as much as possible. Staff and volunteer advocates are conducting their contacts by telephone and videoconferencing. CASA volunteer applicants are completing volunteer screening and training through videoconferencing. Staff are conducting virtual meetings with the board and volunteers. We are in touch with our national and state organizations on a daily basis for ideas on implementing new ways to work to protect children and strengthen families.
What can you do to help protect children? How can we all support caregivers before abuse starts?
- Call and use video calling technology to check on children in your life, with caregiver's knowledge and permission.
- Share accurate information about applying for assistance or local resources that are available to help meet concrete needs. Feel free to call us at Judi's Place for Kids if you need help locating a resource.
- Share posts about stress reduction on social media.
- Offer ways to help while still maintain social distancing. Can you pick up groceries? Can you talk to families in their yard while maintaining distance?
- Check out this link for ideas on reducing the risk of child sexual abuse when arranging childcare: https://www.d2l.org/protective-steps/
- Make time to meet your own social/ emotional needs during this stressful time.
- Report suspected child abuse or neglect by calling: 1-877-KYSAFE-1 or imminent danger to 911.
- Research if becoming a Court-Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) is something you can do.
Check out the ideas in this newsletter. Pick at least one action you can take and share with a friend.
We are still recruiting, screening, and training volunteer advocates for children. We want to be ready to provide more children with Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASAs), as we expect many more reports of abuse and neglect after the immediate crisis. You can complete the application, interview process, and training remotely. Click below to apply to become a volunteer.
- Parental resilience
- Social connections
- Knowledge of child development
- Concrete support in times of need
- Social/emotional competence of children
- Nurturing/ attachment
Thank you to everyone who sponsored, performed, shared, and donated to the All for Children Telethon!
Your support means that more children in Pike, Floyd, Johnson, Martin, and Magoffin Counties can find help, hope, and healing from abuse!
13th Annual Run with Courage - Postponed!
We are looking forward to announcing a new date for the 13th Annual Run with Courage. We will miss seeing so many of you at this event!
Besides being a fun, positive, and family-friendly event that raises awareness of child abuse, Judi's Place for Kids relies on the revenue from this event to support services to abused children throughout the year. Our committed event sponsors have all stayed on-board with us for whenever we are able to safely hold the event.
We know that many families are hurting financially at this time. But if you are able, would you consider a one-time or monthly gift to help meet the financial needs that this event typically meets? Click on the link below to make your secure, online donation.